Presidential Committee to Oversee Campus Accessibility
To ensure that none of the more than 26,000 students, faculty, and staff that make up the Georgia Tech community is deprived of the chance to fully participate in the Institute’s offerings, President G.P. “Bud” Peterson has established a new committee.
The President’s Committee on Disabilities and Access will determine if campus barriers — whether physical or technology-related — adversely impact access to Tech’s programs or services anywhere across the 400-acre campus, which houses some 238 buildings and other structures.
“Georgia Tech is committed to the inclusion of individuals with disabilities throughout our campus community and ensuring full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other pertinent laws, that recognize and protect the civil rights of people with disabilities,” Peterson said. “This committee will have broad oversight responsibilities to ensure that we are meeting our responsibilities and obligations.”
Once convened, the committee will be charged with reviewing Institute policies, identifying potential problem areas, and benchmarking against national best practices for disability and access compliance. The committee will detail its findings in an annual report to the president that will include recommendations for improvement.
Initial committee members include:
- Archie Ervin — Vice President, Institute Diversity (Co-Chair)
- Gary Wolovick — Managing Attorney, Legal Affairs (Interim Co-Chair)
- Susann Estroff — Senior Attorney, Legal Affairs
- Steven Girardot — Assistant Vice Provost, Undergraduate Education
- Scott Jones — Director, Design and Construction / Facilities Management
- Lance Lunsway — Director, Parking and Transportation
- Denise Johnson Marshall — Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Disability Services
- Helena Mitchell — Executive Director, Center for Advanced Communications Policy
- Dan Morrison — Director, Residence Life
- Mia Reini — Director, Compliance and Policy Management
- Christie Rink — Assistant Director, Athletics Event Operations
- Jon Sanford — Associate Professor, College of Architecture and Director, Center for Assistive Technology and Environmental Access
- Jenny Singleton — Professor, Psychology
- Lori Sundal — Director, Enterprise Information Systems
- Thomas Vance — Senior Human Resources Business Partner
- Howard Wertheimer — Director, Capital Planning and Space Management
- Undergraduate Student Government Representative (TBD)
- Graduate Student Government Representative (TBD)
Individuals interested in the committee's progress can track the activities on a soon to be established website or can contact one of the committee members directly.