GTPD Working with Atlanta Police to Halt Home Park Robberies
Since January 1, there have been four Clery Alerts issued to the Georgia Tech community for armed robberies in the off-campus Home Park neighborhood.
In each case the victims surrendered their property when the suspects displayed a handgun, and there were no injuries, including the January 28 incident. All of the Home Park cases are being investigated by the Atlanta Police Department.
“Fortunately these have been property crimes, and no one has been injured,” GTPD Chief Robert Connolly said. “With the last incident it got out that there was a pistol whipping, but that wasn’t the case. There was a miscommunication.”
Report any information regarding this and other criminal incidents to the Georgia Tech Police Department (GTPD) by calling 404-894-2500 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, you can help GTPD and the community fight crime. Don’t look the other way or ignore suspicious activity. If you see something that prompts concern, say something and notify GTPD immediately.
“We are working closely with Atlanta Police and narrowing in on the suspects,” Connolly said. “We embrace Home Park as our neighbor and are allocating our resources to support them as much as possible. We welcome an information that would help identify the suspects.”
GTPD offers the following reminders:
- Walk in well-lit areas. To report inoperative exterior campus lighting, visit: http://www.facilities.gatech.edu/om/requests/lighting.php.
- Walk with a friend or in a group.
- Be aware of your surroundings, even when you are walking in a group.
- Immediately report suspicious activity to the Georgia Tech Police by calling 404-894-2500. Program GTPD's number into your cell phone.
- For on-campus transportation from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m., please call the Stingerette at 404-385-RIDE.
- Download the LiveSafe safety app for quick access to the Georgia Tech Police Department and other safety resources.
- For transportation to popular off-campus housing locations, use the Stingerette's Safe Ride Home program between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Safety escorts are available through the Georgia Tech Police Department by calling 404-894-2500 or 4-GTPD.