Campaign Georgia Tech Wraps Up in Historic Fashion
Campaign Georgia Tech Co-Chairs John F. Brock III (ChE 1970, MS ChE 1971) and Mary Rockett Brock, honorary alumna
The most successful fundraising campaign in Georgia Tech’s history concluded on December 31, 2015. When the books were closed, more than $1.8 billion had been raised.
“We are humbled by the knowledge of the impact of Campaign Georgia Tech and what it will do for the Institute, and most importantly for the students and faculty,” said Campaign Co-Chair John F. Brock III, ChE 1970, MS ChE 1971. “It is an extraordinary success by any measure.”
And there are many ways to measure it. Not only did the Campaign exceed its $1.5 billion goal by $300 million, but it also succeeded in meeting — and surpassing — every major goal across the board. These included but are not limited to:
- Every college, and every school within the College of Engineering, met their respective funding goals.
- 103 new endowed chairs and professorships were established Institute-wide, against a goal of 100.
- All colleges now have an endowed dean’s chair, and all schools within the College of Engineering now have an endowed school chair.
- 15 facilities were constructed or renovated.
- Intercollegiate athletics surpassed its Campaign goal, reaching $275 million.
Support came from many corners: from surviving spouses, parents, and friends, to foundations and corporations. But, by far, the largest proportion of the 91,147 donors to Campaign Georgia Tech, and the money raised therein, were alumni. Their philanthropy accounted for a whopping $726.5 million.
Campaign Georgia Tech’s quiet phase began in July 2004 with an initial goal of $1 billion. In 2010, when it went public, the goal was revised to $1.5 billion, and the timetable extended to 2015.
“When we launched the public phase of the Campaign, just coming out of one of the most significant recessions in U.S. history, the Georgia Tech community responded in a way that we could have never imagined,” said President G.P. “Bud” Peterson. “Because of this Campaign, and the support of so many, the future is very exciting. There is no limit to what we can accomplish.”
Additional information about the Campaign’s success will be released in the coming weeks.