BOR Approves Smoke-Free Policy
During the March 18-19 meeting, the Board of Regents approved a policy to require all properties owned, leased, rented, in the possession of or in any way used by the University System of Georgia (USG) or its affiliates to go tobacco and smoke free as of Oct. 1.
The new policy prohibits the use of all forms of tobacco products including cigarettes, cigars, pipes, all forms of smokeless tobacco, clove cigarettes, and any other smoking devices that use tobacco (such as hookahs) or simulate the use of tobacco (such as electronic cigarettes). Details about how the policy will be enforced at Georgia Tech will be shared at a later date.
In other meeting news, the board:
- Established the John Portman Dean’s Chair in the College of Architecture and appointed Steven French to the position effective immediately. (See story at right.)
- Approved the establishment of the Charlotte B. and Roger C. Warren Chair in the School of Computer Science and appointed Richard DeMillo to the position.
- Recognized Tech as one of six USG entities to receive the Award of Distinction for Excellent Financial Reporting in FY2013.
- Approved the revised mission statement for Tech (which is consistent with Tech’s strategic plan).
- Appointed Brasfield & Gorrie LLC to manage construction of the Price Gilbert-Crosland Tower Library renovation project.
- Authorized renovation of the baseball stadium.
View the full meeting agenda here.