Campus Closes for July 4, but Plenty to Do in Atlanta
Posted July 2, 2013 | Atlanta, GA
On Thursday, July 4, the Institute will close in observance of Independence Day. Luckily, the city offers plenty of ways for you to keep busy during your day off.
Fireworks over Bobby Dodd Stadium on July 4, 2012. Photo courtesy of Danny Karnik.
America is not choosy about who celebrates her birthday, so regardless of your country of origin, take some time to enjoy the fun, festivities and fireworks that will be plentiful this weekend. Just don’t forget — classes will meet as usual on Friday.
Wednesday, July 3:
- Braves v. Marlins: The Atlanta Braves take on the Miami Marlins at Turner Field.
Thursday, July 4:
- Peachtree Road Race: The world’s largest 10K takes place close to campus, finishing on 10th Street by Piedmont Park. Find a place along the race route to cheer on the 55,000 craziest people in town.
- Braves v. Marlins: Another matchup with the Marlins, but this time with post-game entertainment and fireworks.
- Centennial Olympic Park: Park gates open at 6 p.m., with fireworks scheduled to start around 9:40. You may even be able to find a spot on campus for a view of this show.
- Decatur Square: Plenty of options for eating, shopping and walking around the square prior to a fireworks show — and all accessible by MARTA.
- Lenox Square Mall: Claiming to be the Southeast’s largest 4th of July celebration, festivities begin at 6 p.m., with fireworks beginning around 9:35.
- A few other local July 4 celebrations.
Friday, July 5:
- All American Celebration with Atlanta Symphony Orchestra: Carry the patriotic celebration into Friday night with the ASO at Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre. Lawn tickets are $15.
Campus operations changes:
- Stingers, Trolleys and Stingerettes will not operate on Thursday, July 4.
- Highland Bakery will be closed July 1–7.
- All retail dining and the North Avenue Dining Hall will close Thursday, July 4. Woodruff Dining Hall will be open Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5–8 p.m.
- Barnes & Noble @ Georgia Tech will be open Thursday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.