Make Memories this Memorial Day Weekend
Posted May 23, 2013 | Atlanta, GA
This Memorial Day weekend, thousands of Georgia Tech students, faculty, and staff will look for ways to escape their rigorous schedules.
Some may take refuge in the serenity of their homes and try to beat the heat with a tall glass of lemonade or sweet tea, but for those looking to get out and celebrate their three-day weekend with something different, a wide range of options are available.
0-15 miles from campus:
- Atlanta Jazz Festival (Free): Let the sounds of smooth jazz relax you during one of the largest free jazz festivals in the country.
- Decatur Arts Festival (Free): Be a patron for a local artist at this MARTA-accessible festival not far from Midtown.
- Atlanta Caribbean Carnival ($10): Connect with the Atlanta Caribbean community at this cultural carnival.
- Atlantic Station (Varies): Enjoy a leisurely stroll around the shops or see one of the three movies premiering this weekend.
16-30 miles from campus:
- Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (Free): Witness this historic landmark and its commemorative Memorial Day display.
- Salute The Troops at Stone Mountain ($28, all day): Celebrate service men and women under the shade of Stone Mountain by day and watch the laser show by night.
- Memorial Day Weekend at Lake Lanier ($10-$35+, all day): Enjoy sun and sand with Beach Access or hit the Lazy River at LanierWorld to experience Georgia’s largest man-made lake.
- Georgia Renaissance Festival ($19.95, all day): Eat a turkey leg before the Renaissance Festival closes its doors for the summer.
- Shoot the Hooch ($27): Spend a few hours riding an inner tube down the Chattahoochee River and the beauty of north Georgia.
30+ miles from campus