Tech’s Global Campus Comes Alive during Culture Fest
Posted March 29, 2013 | Atlanta, GA
Each April, the Tech community celebrates its well-known diversity during the multi-week Culture Fest event.
Students can taste food from around the world served by international student population at Culture Fest.
Hosted by the Office of International Education and Global Jackets, the event is designed for Yellow Jackets to celebrate their own cultures and discover others.
“Through our events, we offer all students the chance to learn about the cultures represented at Tech, meet students from different backgrounds, sample food from different cultures, and have fun,” said Kate Overstreet, an industrial engineering major and president of Global Jackets.
Festivities this year kick off April 1 and will include events old and new. On April 8 at the International Food Fest, a Tech tradition for more than 30 years, a communal table of international cuisine will let attendees globetrot their way through lunch.
Also that day, the Georgia Tech Language Institute’s Language Café will bring together native and non-native English speakers for casual conversation, giving everyone a chance to practice whatever their second language may be.
“Our ultimate goal as an organization is to showcase the diversity of Tech's campus while encouraging cross-cultural cooperation,” said Overstreet.
Other events throughout the week include:
- Monday, April 1: International Coffee Hour, 6-7 p.m., Tech Rec, Student Center
- Tuesday, April 2: International Trivia Night, 6-8 p.m., Tech Rec, Student Center
- Wednesday, April 3: International Karaoke Night, 7-8 p.m., Under the Couch, Student Center
- Friday, April 5: Taste of Latin America (sponsored by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers), 6-8:30 p.m., Student Center Ballroom
- Saturday, April 6: International Film Screening (sponsored by the Latin American Student Organization), 8-10 p.m., Student Center Theater
- Tuesday, April 9: Israel Fest (sponsored by Hillel), Kessler Campanile